Top UN officials have separately described the Syrian regime’s brutal offensive against areas of the besieged northern city of Aleppo as “barbaric.”
• Monday, September 12: The US-Russia brokered ceasefire starts at sunset
• Minor violations mar the ceasefire’s early hours.
• By Thursday, September 15, Russia, US are accusing each other of not fulfilling their obligations.
• On Friday, UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports civilian deaths from airstrikes in Idlib, then Sunday in Aleppo.
• On Saturday, the US conducts an airstrike which kills Syrian forces. The Pentagon says it was accidental, and US officials express regret. Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations calls the strike “an extraordinary display of American heavy-handedness.”
• On Monday, September 19, a UN aid convoy’s attacked outside Aleppo. The US blames Russia. Russia says it was rebel forces. It all but ends hope of an extended ceasefire.