Hezbollah Says 6 Fighters Killed in Israeli Attack on Syria
BEIRUT – Six senior members of the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah died in an Israeli airstrike on the Syrian town of Quneitra, bordering the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, Hezbollah said in a statement it released Monday.
In it Hezbollah revealed the identity of its “martyrs” in the Sunday attack noting that they represent “pride of the nation.”
Among the victims was Jihad Mughniyeh, son of Imad Mughniyeh, a Hezbollah military leader killed in 2008 by a car bomb that Hezbollah blamed on Israel.
Also killed was Sheikh Mohamed Issa, a senior official in the Shiite organization who was known for backing Hezbollah’s involvement in Syria, where its supporters fight alongside troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that six fighters were killed in the bombardment by an Israeli aircraft, including five Hezbollah members and an alleged member of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
The SOHR said that the bombing targeted a house and two cars that parked outside, in an agriculture area in al-Quneitra.
Hassan Nasrallah, leader of the Shiite group, threatened on Jan. 15 during an interview with al-Mayadeen television to respond “any time” to attacks against Syria, as they are not only targeting Syria but also “the whole of the resistance axis.”
“The axis is capable of responding. This can happen at any time,” he added.
Israel has previously bombed military institutions in Damascus and its surroundings, causing casualties.