Heavy Airstrikes In Northwestern Syria Threaten Truce
Dozens of airstrikes by regime forces and Russia on opposition-held enclave in northwestern Syria have killed several civilians, activists said on Friday.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights stated that a dozen of overnight raids on the southern edge of Idlib province killed six civilians.
Regime warplanes dropped a dozen of indiscriminate barrel bombs on one village, the Observatory noted .
The escalation threatens a seven-month truce, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
The UN expressed its deep concerned over the violence, saying the escalation has caused massive displacement inside the enclave that extends between Idlib and Hama provinces and is home to about 3 million people.
“These increased hostilities are triggering large-scale displacement, from northern Hama and southern Idlib. There are also reports of deserted villages after civilians fled for safety. An estimated 323,000 people are estimated to have been displaced in the northwest since September of last year,” AP reported UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric as saying late Thursday.
The UN said at least 60 civilians were killed in April.