Dozens killed in counter attack by rebels in Syria
A day after Russia attacked the northwestern region in Syria, rebel groups on Tuesday launched counter attacks against pro-government positions which have claimed the lives of at least three dozen fighters of both warring factions.
The fighting in a northwestern town of Hama province killed 26 pro-government fighters as well as 18 rebels, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Syria state agency – SANA – also said “terrorist groups” fired missiles on the west of government-held Aleppo city.
Yesterday, at least 10 civilians, including five children, were killed in air strikes by Syrian government ally Russia in the Idlib province, the last major rebel-held territory.
The province is largely controlled by former al-Qaeda affiliate Hay’et Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group.
Fighting erupted in northwestern Syria last month breaking a truce brokered by Russia and Turkey in 2018.
At least 167 civilians have lost their lives in Idlib since April 25. The province is home to about three million people.
The Syrian war has killed more than 370,00O people and displaced millions inside Syria and abroad since it began in March 2011.
The Syrian government has been accused of attacking civilians in Idlib. United Nations has also warned of a humanitarian catastrophe.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is trying to regain control over the last rebel-held province.The multi-sided armed conflict in Syria has been raging since 2011, with Russia, Turkey and Iran being the guarantors of the ceasefire regime. (ANI)