Civilians killed in Syrian air strikes
At least 25 civilians have been killed in intensified Syrian government air strikes on rebel-held areas in Idlib province.
The White Helmets, rescue teams that work only in rebel-held areas, say air strikes late on Monday targeted the village of Jabla, killing at least 12 civilians and many others are covered by rubble.
Activists in Idlib have posted graphic photos of bodies scattered on a street inside Jabla.
Meanwhile, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human rights says the number of people killed in earlier air strikes on the city of Khan Sheikoun has risen to 13.
Ahmed Sheikho, head of the Idib White Helmets, says 24 people were wounded, among them children, when government strikes hit the city’s centre.
The Observatory says government planes conducted 105 strikes targeting Khan Sheikhoun and areas in the northern and eastern parts of Idlib, as well as regions in its northern countryside.
Late last month forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, supported by Russian air power, initiated a massive campaign against rebels in Hama and Idlib, the last major opposition strongholds in Syria.
The Observatory, which has been documenting violence in Syria since 2011, puts the civilian death toll in Idlib and Hama since the end of April at 387, including 94 children.
The escalation has also displaced more than 300,000 people.
In September, Russia reached a deal with Turkey, a supporter of some rebel groups, to establish a demilitarised zone in Idlib.