Tens of thousands fled Turkish offensive in less than 24 hours
More than 60,000 people have already fled areas in northeast Syria, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Thursday, less than 24 hours after Ankara launched an offensive in the region.
Syria’s Kurds battled to hold off a Turkish invasion on Thursday as thousands of civilians fled air strikes and shelling that deepened fears of a humanitarian crisis.
In scenes all too familiar since the start of Syria’s war more than eight years ago, civilians were seen abandoning their homes on Thursday, in vehicles or on foot with their belongings on their backs.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said more than 60,000 people had been displaced in less than a day.
The broad offensive — which Erdogan dubbed “Operation Peace Spring” — drew international outrage and warnings, including from within Trump’s own camp, and will be discussed in an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council later on Thursday.
After launching the assault with air strikes and intense artillery fire, the Turkish military and its Syrian proxies crossed the border into Kurdish-controlled areas.