Security vacuum in Daraa: 350 attacks and assassination attempts in nine months claim the lives of 220 people
Unstable security situation in Daraa has completed the ninth consecutive month, while the forces which are in control of the province, represented by regime forces, Iranian and Iranian-backed militias, and the Russian-backed 5th Corps, are unable to control this deteriorating situation.
Daraa province experiences daily incidents, whether attacks, kidnapping or assassination attempts by detonations and gunfire, mainly inflicted by the “Popular Resistance” which contains local gunmen reject the presence of regime forces and allies in Daraa.
For its part, the Syrian regime has not attempted to control security in the province. However, the regime continues repression by arbitrary arrests of civilians and former fighters who have had their security situation settled with regime forces.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 350 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs and bomb-vehicles. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 217 persons, they are as follows:
- 45 civilians, including five women and four children
- 113 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 37 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 16 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- Six members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.