Assassination attempt targets prominent former opposition commander in Daraa, amid suspicion of regime intelligence involvement
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: SOHR sources have monitored a new assassination attempt in Daraa, in the wake of the deteriorating security throughout the province.
Unknown assailants opened fire on a prominent former commander in opposition factions in Tafas city in the north-west Daraa countryside. It is noteworthy that the targeted commander had have his security situation settled with the regime.
No injuries have been reported but there is suspicion of regime intelligence involvement in this assassination attempt.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 355 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs and bomb-vehicles. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 220 persons, they are as follows:
- 45 civilians, including five women and four children
- 114 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 39 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 16 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- Six members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.