The lowest monthly toll ever of civilian fatalities: 103 civilians killed in March 2020
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented the death of 508 people in March 2020. The fatalities were distributed as follows:
Civilian death toll: 103 persons, including nine children under the age of 18, and 16 women over the age of 18 distributed as follows:
- 67 civilians, including one child and six women, were killed in Russian jets bombardment.
- 24 civilians, including six children and four women, were killed by regime forces.
- Eight civilians died under torture in the Syrian regime’s prisons.
- One civilians was killed as a result of opposition factions’ shelling.
- One person was executed by HTS.
- 11 civilians, including two female, were killed in unknown circumstances.
- 12 civilians, including two children and three women, were killed in IED and landmine explosions.
- One civilian was killed in a booby-trapped explosions.
- 18 civilians, including one female, were killed in separate assassinations across Syria.
Syrian fighters of Islamic factions, opposition factions and other movements and organizations: 115
Syria Democratic Forces: 13
Regime forces: 94
Members of the Popular Committees, and the National Defense Forces, and loyalists to regime forces of Syrian citizens: 42
Loyalists to the regime forces of non-Syrian citizens mostly of the Shiite sect: 36
Fighters of Islamic factions, ISIS, Al-Nusra Front (Qaeda organization of the Levant), and Muhjereen and al-Ansar Army and Islamic Turkestan Party of non-Syrian citizens: 93
Turkish soldiers: 11
Syrian Observatory activists documented that Russian and Syrian regime aircraft and regime ground forces carried out 2,802 air and ground strikes killing 51 civilians, including seven children under the age of 18, and ten women over the age of 18. The air and ground strikes were distributed as follows:
- Russian jets carried out 391 airstrikes killing 27 civilians, including one child under the age of 18, and six women over 18.
- The regime jets carried out 266 strikes. However, no civilian fatalities were documented.
- Regime ground forces targeted the “de-escalation” zone with 2,145 shells and rockets killing 24 civilians, including six children and four women.
The warring forces committed three massacres in March 2020, leaving 33 civilians dead, including six children under the age of 18, and six women over the age of 18 were massacred as follows:
- Two massacres committed by Russian jets leaving 24 civilians dead, including one child under the age of 18, and six women over the age of 18.
- One massacre committed by regime ground forces leaving nine civilians dead, including five children under the age of 18.
Despite all the attempts to find solutions, and the displacement, and the manipulation of the Syrians future, and the UNSC resolution and truces, and despite the low intensity of killing due to the international desire to seek a solution, however, the bloodshed continues on the Syrian territory and the killing and fighting continues without peace, and the cease-fire truces was only breaks between the sides of the conflict in Syria, where some parties were winners and others lost influence and control, so, we at the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, we call for the international parties once again to work hard and make their utmost efforts to stop the bloodshed of the Syrian people, who faced tyranny and injustice to reach a state of justice, democracy, freedom and equality.
The Syrian Observatory renew its commitment to continue monitoring and documenting the massacres, violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed against the Syrian people, in addition to publishing the statistics and causalities of those practices in order to stop these crimes, violations and atrocities against the Syrian people, and bring the perpetrators of these crimes to special international courts, so that they do not escape punishment for the crimes they committed against the people who was and still dream of achieving democracy, freedom, justice and equality for all components of the Syrian people.