Idlib | “Committee for promotion of virtue and vice prevention” of Tahrir Al-Sham returns to the city, after two-year suspension
Reliable sources have told the Syrian Observatory that HTS reactivated the committee of “Arms of Charity” in areas under its control in Idlib, but this time under the name of “The Center of Salvation” for “the promotion of virtue and the prevention of vice”, two years after ” Arms of Charity” being suspended after considerable popular pressure, following the many restrictions it imposed during its existence as well as arbitrary arrests and clamping down on people.
The Syrian Observatory has obtained a copy of a list containing some of the prohibitions that the “committee for the promotion of virtue and prevention of vice” will impose, which says:
– Mingling in restaurants, offices and other places to be prevented.
– A woman without a companion from her parents or relatives is not allowed to be alone with a shopkeeper.
-Preventing men from selling women’s clothes.
– Following-up the wedding halls and gyms and prevent reprehensible acts in them.
– Smoking hookah (Narghileh) in streets, shops and restaurants.
– Banning some haircuts and tightening measures on barbers.
-Preventing cases of harassment, accosting and standing outside educational institutions and offices.
– Prevent reprehensible acts and pictures or posters placed in shops and others places.
– Mingling of young people with girls in educational institutes to be prevented.
The decision to reactivate “Arms of Charity” to Idlib is expected to trigger widespread public discontent and anger against HTS a lot more than it is now. Even if the names differ, the resolutions are very similar to those of two years ago. HTS seems to be aimed at re-imposing its domination over Idlib in order to stifle people’s liberties in the region, which may escalate the protests that take place on an almost daily basis against HTS’ practices and policies.