Regime crackdown | Military intelligence kidnaps civilian in Daraa, while military reinforcement arriving in city to protect the kidnappers
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: a civilian was kidnapped today in Daraa city by members who mediate reconciliation deals between opposition fighters and the Syrian regime and work for the regime’s military intelligence branch.
Meanwhile, military reinforcement of the regime’s 4th Division have arrived at “Al-Aaw” checkpoint in Daraa Al-Balad in order to protect the kidnappers and deal with possible reaction by the area’s locals.
SOHR activists reported earlier this morning that an explosion rocked Al-Matar neighbourhood in Daraa Al-Mahattah in Daraa city. The explosion was caused by detonating an IED in an outdoor market in the neighbourhood, which caused material damage and left many civilians injured.
It is worth noting that several security branches and military posts affiliated to regime forces are located nearby the area where the explosion occurred.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 467 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 304 persons, and they are as follows:
- 70 civilians, including seven women and four children
- 162 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 48 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 17 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- Six members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.