Assassination | Head of Al-Harrak district killed and five escorts injured in armed attack in eastern Daraa
Reliable SOHR sources have confirmed that unknown assailants opened fire with their machineguns on a vehicle carrying a major, the head of Al-Harrak district, leaving him dead. While five regime police officers escorting the major sustained injuries.
The attack took place on the road between Nahteh and Al-Harrak in the eastern countryside of Daraa. The injured police officers and the major’s body were taken to Izraa national hospital.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 572 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 380 persons, and they are as follows:
- 103 civilians, including 12 women and 11 children
- 181 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 57 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 19 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 19 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.