Car Bomb Blast In Northeastern Syria Kills At Least Five
Turkish state media says explosion in village held by Ankara-backed forces near border also wounded 12 people.
A car bomb blast in northern Syria targeted a check post which is manned by Ankara-backed forces, killing at least five people on Thursday, the Turkish state media outlet reported. It further added that the blast in the border town of Ras al-Ain injured 12 other people.
Last year, the Syrian rebels, along with their key ally Turkey seized a 120 km stretch of land inside the border region of Syria from the Kurdish forces. Ankara views the Kurds as ‘’terrorists’’.
However, there was no immediate claim of responsibility from any of the militant groups in the region. But Turkish media reported that they are investigating into the possibilities that Syrian Kurds might have carried out the Thursday’s deadly attack.
Contrary to the figures provided by a Turkish news agency or other sources, a UK-based war monitor, known as the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), gave a high toll, saying that at least nine dead and more than 15 wounded.
In recent months, it was the latest in the series of attacks that have rocked the strategic region that has become a power-play for world powers. In the past week alone, there have been several blasts in the area.
On Tuesday, in Ras al-Ain an explosives-rigged motorbike killed two civilians and a fighter, just two days after another blast in the market killed at least eight people, including six civilians, the SOHR said.
Meanwhile, the People’s Protection Units, which are led by Kurds, have also played a critical role in the Washington-backed fight against the ISIL group in the country. But Turkey sees them as the extension of the Kurdish Workers Party that has ravaged a deadly campaign against the Turkish state since 2014.
Since the Syrian civil war broke out in 2014, it has so far killed millions of people and displaced tens of thousands with the undemocratic and brutal oppression of anti-regime demonstrations