The Syrian Observatory For Human Rights

Arab newspapers: Lebanon is holding its breath, Turkey and Qatar are fueling Libyan conflict

​​​​​​​Northern and eastern Syria has witnessed tension between the Syrian government forces and the International Coalition forces, while Lebanon awaits the moment of pronouncing the verdict on the murder of Rafik Hariri, while Turkey and Qatar have agreed to fuel the Libyan conflict.

On Tuesday morning, Arab newspapers focused on the Syrian situation, in addition to the Lebanese crisis, and the Libyan issue.

Al-Sharq al-Awsat: Washington responds to the “harassment” of Damascus east of the Euphrates

The Arab newspapers published this morning, on the Syrian issue, dealt with several topics, the most important of which was the tension between the Syrian government forces and the International Coalition Forces in the north and east of the country. In this context, Al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper said: “A member of the Syrian regime forces was killed by shelling by the International Coalition led by Washington. A checkpoint of the regime forces near the city of Qamishli, east of the Euphrates.

The “Syrian Observatory for Human Rights” reported yesterday that a coalition aircraft targeted a military checkpoint that intercepted a military convoy, south of Qamishli airport, indicating that an exchange of fire took place before the plane entered.

Al-Arab: Lebanon faces the moment of truth in al-Hariri assassination

On the Lebanese issue, Al-Arab newspaper said: “The Lebanese are anxiously awaiting the issuance of the judgment of the International Tribunal for Lebanon today, Tuesday, in the case of the assassination of the former Prime Minister, Rafik Hariri, by bombing his motorcade in the capital Beirut on February 14, 2005, in which the accused are members of Hezbollah.

And she added, “Despite the successive calls to control any reactions, especially in the Sunni street, there is a fear of the situation becoming out of control, especially as the charged atmosphere in the street is preparing for such a scenario in light of a growing anger caused by the bombing of Beirut’s devastating port on the fourth of August. Which caused 178 dead, more than six thousand wounded, and dozens of missing, in addition to massive material damage, and losses exceeding $ 15 billion, according to unlimited official estimates.

The verdict in the case of the assassination of Rafik Hariri was scheduled for August 7, but out of respect for the families of the victims of the port explosion and in observance of Lebanon’s declaration of mourning for a period of three days, the court postponed to August 18 the pronouncement of the verdict in absentia against four accused belonging to Hezbollah.

And the former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri left Beirut, on Monday, heading to The Hague, to attend the verdict hearing in the case of the assassination of his father, and he is scheduled to issue a statement after the decision dealing with the expected verdict, which is almost decided on the conviction of the accused.

It is likely that Hariri will demand, in his statement, Hezbollah to hand over the accused, which will not be accepted by the latter, and its Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah has previously threatened to cut off the hands that extend to them.

It is feared that the government will ignite the Sunni arena, which could slide the country into a sectarian war, at a time when Lebanon suffers from an unprecedented financial and economic crisis since the end of the civil war (1975-1990).

Al-Bayan: A Turkish-Qatari agreement to support the militias in Libya

Regarding the Libyan issue, Al-Bayan newspaper said, “In a new step that would fuel the ongoing conflict in Libya and destroy the chances of renegotiation and stabilizing the ceasefire, the so-called” Libyan Government of National Accord “announced a tripartite agreement to increase military support for its militias.

The joint visit of Turkish Defense Ministers Hulusi Akar and Qatari Khaled Al-Attiyah to Tripoli yesterday raised many questions about its significance, especially as it coincided with the visit of German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, the one who conveyed his country’s position, as the sponsor of the outcomes of the Berlin Agreement, and the United States, on the necessity to establish a ceasefire, to declare the Sirte region a demilitarized zone, and to reopen ports and oil installations.

“It was agreed to build tripartite cooperation between Tripoli, Qatar and Turkey in order to raise the capabilities of the military institutions affiliated with the Government of National Accord headed by Fayez al-Sarraj,” the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Defense, Salah al-Din al-Nimroush, said during his meeting with Al-Attiyah and Akar. Reports stated that the Government of National Accord, Turkey and Qatar have formally agreed to activate the port of Misurata as a base for Turkish naval vessels operating in the eastern Mediterranean.

Source: Arab newspapers: Lebanon is holding its breath, Turkey and Qatar are fueling Libyan conflict – ANHA | HAWARNEWS | English