The lowest monthly death toll ever | 238 people killed in August 2020
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented the death of 238 people in August 2020. The fatalities were distributed as follows:
Civilian death toll: 81 persons, including 15 children under the age of 18, and 11 women over the age of 18, and they are as follows:
- Three civilians were killed by Russian jets.
- Three civilians were killed by regime forces.
- Two civilians died under torture in regime prisons
- Four civilians, including a woman, were killed as a result of opposition factions’ shelling.
- Two civilians were killed by SDF.
- One civilian was executed by HTS.
- Four women among six civilians were killed in unknown circumstances.
- 26 civilians, including nine children and one woman, were killed in IED and landmine explosions.
- A woman among four civilians were killed in booby-trapped vehicles’ explosions.
- Two children among three civilians were killed in Turkish bombardment.
- 29 civilians, including four females and two children, were killed in separate assassinations across Syria.
Syrian fighters of Islamic factions, opposition factions and other movements and organizations: 12
Regime dissidents: 1
Syria Democratic Forces: 9
Regime forces: 56
Members of the Popular Committees, and the National Defense Forces, and loyalists to regime forces of Syrian citizens: 22
Loyalists to the regime forces of non-Syrian citizens mostly of the Shiite sect: 16
Fighters of Islamic factions, ISIS, Al-Nusra Front (Qaeda organization of the Levant), and Muhjereen and al-Ansar Army and Islamic Turkestan Party of non-Syrian citizens: 40
Turkish soldiers: 1
We, at the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, call on the international community once again to work hard to stop the bloodshed in Syria. The people of Syria have been facing tyranny and oppression in their noble endeavour and cause to obtain justice, democracy, freedom and equality.
The Syrian Observatory renew its commitment to continue monitoring and documenting all the developments on the ground in Syria including, the massacres, violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed against the Syrian people, as well as publishing all relevant statistics and causalities of such heinous acts, and hope to help all the ongoing efforts of bringing the perpetrators to special international courts, so that they do not escape justice for the crimes they committed against the people of Syria.
HD Infographic: civilian fatalities in August 2020