Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: reliable sources have informed SOHR that regime forces and security services launched a security campaign in Sheikh Maskin town in the northern countryside of Daraa. The security forces arrested more than 22 persons for unknown reasons. This campaign coincides with the escalating security chaos across Daraa.
Yesterday, SOHR activists said that unidentified gunmen shot dead a member of the Air-Force Intelligence branch in Tasil town in western Daraa countryside, while another civilian escorting the victim sustained injuries during the attack.
It is worth nothing that the assassinated person had been the leader of an opposition faction before striking a reconciliation deal with regime security services.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 665 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 441 persons, and they are as follows:
- 122 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 199 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 78 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 21 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.