Deteriorating security | “5th Corps” commander survives assassination attempt in eastern Daraa
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Unknown assailants opened fire on a commander in the Russian-backed “5th Corps” on the road between Al-Jizah and Al-Mata’iyyah in east Daraa countryside. However, no casualties have been reported.
On Thursday, SOHR sources reported hearing a loud explosion in al-Qala’a neighbourhood in Bosra al-Sham city in Daraa countryside, caused by an IED explosion which targeted a commander of the Russian-backed 5th Corps. The explosion injured the commander with three other persons escorting him. Meanwhile, ambulances were seen rushing to the site of the explosion, amid a massive deployment by security forces in the neighbourhood.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 671 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 448 persons, and they are as follows:
- 122 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 208 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 79 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 22 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.