Daraa instability | Regime security member survives assassination attempt
Reliable sources have informed SOHR that unknown gunmen opened fire on a former opposition fighter, who reconciled with security services and later joined the regime’s “military security”, in a neighbourhood in Sheikh Maskin city in the middle countryside of Daraa. However, the ex-fighter survived the assassination attempt, as the gunmen failed to hit him.
Since the beginning of security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 678 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 449 persons, and they are as follows:
- 122 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 209 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 79 fighters of the faction who struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 22 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.