Assassination attempt | Unknown assailants attack commander of Russian-backed formation in northern Daraa
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: SOHR activists have reported a new assassination attempt, as a former commander of “Shabab Al-Sunnah” faction, who joined later to the Russia-backed “5th Corps”, have been attacked by unknown assailants, while he was driving his car in Inkhil town in northern Daraa.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 720 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 478 persons, categorised as follows:
- 132 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 213 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 89 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 22 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.