Daraa security vacuum | Unknown gunmen assassinate ex-commander near Tafas
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Unknown gunmen shot dead a former opposition commander, who struck reconciliation deal with regime security services, nearby Tafas city in rural Daraa. It is worth noting that the ex-commander previously survived several assassination attempts in Da’el area in Daraa countryside.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 772 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 508 persons, categorised as follows:
- 142 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 221 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 98 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 24 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.