Assassination | Unknown gunmen shoot dead ex-commander in western Daraa
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Reliable SOHR sources have reported that unknown gunmen shot dead a person in Tasil town in the western countryside of Daraa. According to SOHR sources, the victim served as a military commander in opposition factions during their control of the province, before he struck a reconciliation deal with regime security services.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 773 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 509 persons, categorised as follows:
- 142 civilians, including 12 women and 15 children
- 221 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 99 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 24 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.