The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented the death of 395 people in December 2020. The fatalities were distributed as follows:
Civilian death toll: 95 persons, including 23 children under the age of 18, and five women over the age of 18, and they are as follows:
- Five civilians were killed by regime bombardment.
- Seven civilians died under torture in regime prisons.
- One civilian was shot dead by regime soldiers.
- Two civilians were killed by opposition factions.
- Two civilians was killed by Syria Democratic Forces (SDF).
- One child was killed by the Turkish border police “Jandarma”.
- One civilian was killed by Hayyaat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS).
- 13 civilians, including one woman and five children, were killed in unknown circumstances.
- 18 civilians, including one woman and 11 children, were killed in explosions of old landmines and unexploded ordnance.
- Eight civilians, including one woman and two children, were killed in IED explosions
- Two civilians were killed in explosions of booby-trapped cars and motorcycles.
- 33 civilians, including Two women and four children, were killed in separate assassinations across Syria by ISIS members, pro-SDF militiamen, pro-regime militiamen and unknown gunmen.
Syrian fighters of Islamic factions, opposition factions and other movements and organizations: 51
Syria Democratic Forces (SDF): 24
Foreign fighters of Syria Democratic Forces: 4
Regime forces: 102
Members of the Popular Committees, and the National Defense Forces, and loyalists to regime forces of Syrian citizens: 50
Lebanese Hezbollah: 1
Loyalists to Iranian and regime forces of non-Syrian citizens mostly of the Shiite sect: 11
ISIS members: 51
Turkish soldiers: 4
We, at the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, call on the international community once again to work hard to stop the bloodshed in Syria. The people of Syria have been facing tyranny and oppression in their noble endeavour and cause to obtain justice, democracy, freedom and equality.
The Syrian Observatory renew its commitment to continue monitoring and documenting all the developments on the ground in Syria including, the massacres, violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed against the Syrian people, as well as publishing all relevant statistics and causalities of such heinous acts, and hope to help all the ongoing efforts of bringing the perpetrators to special international courts, so that they do not escape justice for the crimes they committed against the people of Syria.