Monthly death toll | 547 people killed across Syria in January 2021
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: February 1, 2020
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented the death of 547 people in January 2021. The fatalities were distributed as follows:
Civilian death toll: 145 persons, including 37 children under the age of eighteen, and 19 women over the age of eighteen, and they are as follows:
- Ten civilians, including two women and three children, were killed by regime bombardment.
- Two civilians died under torture in regime prisons.
- One civilian was killed by opposition factions.
- One civilian was killed by Syria Democratic Forces (SDF).
- One civilian was killed by Turkish-backed factions.
- Two civilians were killed by the Turkish border guards “Jandarma”.
- Three civilians were killed by Hayyaat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS).
- 14 civilians, including two women and three children, were killed in unknown circumstances.
- 23 civilians, including 18 children, were killed in explosions of old landmines and unexploded ordnance.
- Nine civilians, including one women and two children, were killed in IED explosions.
- 15 civilians, including two women and five children, were killed in explosions of booby-trapped cars and motorcycles.
- 60 civilians, including 10 women and four children, were killed in separate assassinations across Syria by ISIS members, pro-SDF militiamen, pro-regime militiamen and unknown gunmen.
- Four civilians, including one woman and two children, were killed by Turkish shelling.
15 Syrian fighters of Islamic and rebel factions were killed by regime forces.
20 Turkish-backed fighters were killed, and they were as follows:
- Three fighters were killed in unknown circumstances.
- Four fighters were killed in landmine explosions.
- Four were killed in IED explosions.
- Five were killed in car-bomb blasts.
- Four were shot dead by unknown assailants.
Syria Democratic Forces (SDF): 21 fighters were killed by ISIS members
One regime army defector was killed under torture in regime prisons
One foreign fighter of Syria Democratic Forces was killed by ISIS members
Regime forces: 106 soldiers were killed, and they were as follows:
- 17 by Israeli airstrikes
- 50 by ISIS members
- 20 by opposition factions
- Two by landmine explosions
- One by jihadist groups
- Seven by IED explosions
- Eight by unidentified gunmen
- One by SDF
Syrian members of the Popular Committees, the National Defense Forces, and loyalists to regime forces: 84 fighters, and they were as follows:
- 64 by ISIS members
- Four by IED explosions
- 16 by unidentified gunmen
Lebanese Hezbollah: one fighter was killed by unidentified gunmen
Loyalists to Iranian and regime forces of non-Syrian citizens mostly of the Shiite sect: 47 militiamen were killed by Israeli airstrikes
Jihadists: 14 fighters, and they are as follows:
- Three by ISIS members
- Three in weapons shop explosions
- Two by regime forces
- Three by unidentified gunmen
ISIS members: 92 fatalities, including 90 members were killed in Russian airstrikes and clashes with regime forces and loyalists, nine of whom were found in a mass grave in the Syrian desert, while two members were killed by jihadist groups.
We, at the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, call on the international community once again to work hard to stop the bloodshed in Syria. The people of Syria have been facing tyranny and oppression in their noble endeavour and cause to obtain justice, democracy, freedom and equality.
The Syrian Observatory renew its commitment to continue monitoring and documenting all the developments on the ground in Syria including, the massacres, violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed against the Syrian people, as well as publishing all relevant statistics and causalities of such heinous acts, and hope to help all the ongoing efforts of bringing the perpetrators to special international courts, so that they do not escape justice for the crimes they committed against the people of Syria.