Assassination | Unknown gunmen shoot dead ex-commander in southern Daraa
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Syrian Observatory activists have documented the death of a former opposition commander, after being shot by unknown gunmen in Daraa camp in Daraa city. According to SOHR sources, the victim had struck a reconciliation deal with regime security services, but he has not joined any regime-affiliated bodies or military formations.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 894 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 591 persons, categorised as follows:
- 162 civilians, including 12 women and 16 children
- 267 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 114 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 25 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.