In light of escalating attacks and tension in the region | 4th Division strengthens its posts, and fortifies its checkpoints in western countryside of Daraa
Daraa governorate – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights:
Reliable sources have told the Syrian Observatory that the forces of the Fourth Division of the Syrian regime, led by Maher al-Assad, brother of the head of the regime, have fortified their posts and new positions they established in western sector of Daraa countryside. They were seen erecting soil barriers in the new posts.
According to Syrian Observatory sources, the 4th Division is seeking to establish other new posts in the region as part of its efforts to clamp down on the people of the western countryside of Daraa, especially after the recent development in the region in 2021.
On February 2, SOHR sources reported seeing regime forces bringing in heavy weapons, tanks and ammunition to Al-Jame’at area on the road between Al-Muzayreb town and Al-Yadoudah in Daraa countryside. According to SOHR sources, these military reinforcement were brought with the aim to establish a military barracks containing members of the 4th Division and Iranian-backed militiamen.
In connection to this, regime forces blocked the road between Al-Muzayreb and Al-Yadoudah and transported the recent reinforcement from Kharab Al-Shahm area to Al-Salem complex in Nahaj village, then to Al-Jame’at area where the military barracks is located.
On January 29, Syrian Observatory activists monitored several armed attacks by unknown gunmen, which targeted 12 checkpoints in a few hours, in support of the western countryside of Daraa, particularly Tafas city. The attacked checkpoints are the following:
- A checkpoint of the 4th Division in western countryside of Daraa.
- A checkpoint between the eastern and western Al-Gharya in eastern Daraa.
- A checkpoint of Air-Force Intelligence between Sayda and the western Al-Gharya in eastern Daraa.
- A checkpoint of Air-Force Intelligence in Al-Karak Al-Sharqi in eastern Daraa.
- Two checkpoints of the state security service in Jasim in northern Daraa.
- A checkpoint on the outskirts of Bosra Al-Sham.
- A checkpoint in Al-Sahwa.
- A checkpoint on the road between Tasil and Nawa, and other checkpoints in Daraa countryside.
After these attacks, regime forces brought in military reinforcement to secure and boost their checkpoints. It is worth noting that these attacks have left no casualties.