Daraa | New assassination targeting member of Russian-backed “Fifth Corps” in eastern countryside
Daraa governorate – The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights:
The province of Daraa in southern Syria has witnessed a new assassination on Sunday morning, targeting a settled-status member in its eastern countryside, where unidentified gunmen targeted a member of the Russian-backed “Fifth Corps” on the road connecting the towns of Khirbet Ghazala and Al-Garia al-Gharbia, killing him immediately.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 940 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 607 persons, categorised as follows:
- 173 civilians, including 12 women and 16 children
- 270 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 114 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 26 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.