As security chaos continues in Daraa | Unknown gunmen try to assassinate former opposition leader and current member of the 4th Division
Daraa Governorate- Syrian Observatory for Human Rights:
SOHR activists say that unidentified gunmen opened fire on a former leader of the opposition factions of Daraa, after they ambushed him near the town of Al-Muzayrip in the western countryside of Daraa. However, the former leader survived the assassination attempt.
It is worth noting that he was a leader of a local group in the town of Al-Muzayrip before the reconciliation deals, and he joined later along with his group the 4th Division in the western region of Daraa province.
SOHR activists have documented the death of a young man after being shot by unknown gunmen in Jasim town in the northern countryside of Daraa. According to SOHR sources, the young man had difected from regime force during the faction’s control of Daraa, but after regime forces regained the province, the young man struck a reconciliation deal with regime security services and joined the Military Security Branch.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 967 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 652 persons, categorised as follows:
- 179 civilians, including 12 women and 17 children
- 304 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 119 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 23 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 26 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.