Assassination | Ex-fighter of Jaysh Khaled Ibn Al-Waleed shot dead in western Daraa
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: SOHR activists have documented the death of a man after being shot by unknown gunmen in Al-Shajarah town in the western countryside of Daraa, yesterday evening. According to SOHR sources, the targeted man had been a fighter of Jaysh Khaled Ibn Al-Waleed which swore allegiance to the Islamic State, before he settled his security situation and joined regime forces after their control of Daraa. It is worth noting the man defected from regime forces later.
Yesterday, SOHR sources reported a new assassination on an officer and a member of the regime’s Air-Force Intelligence service in the city of Da’el in the central sector of Daraa countryside, after being shot by unidentified gunmen. The city of Da’el witnessed a state of security alert by the regime’s security agents, following this assassination.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 983 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 661 persons, categorised as follows:
- 183 civilians, including 12 women and 18 children
- 307 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 120 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 24 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.