Exclusive report | Alarming escalation of security chaos in Daraa: 185 attacks leave over 140 people dead
The province of Daraa, the cradle of the “Syrian Revolution”, has recently experienced alarming increase of security incidents as a part of the security vacuum which started to escalate in the province in June 2019. However, the security situation deteriorated greatly in 2021, especially with the various influential powers, as daily attacks, including detonations, gunfire and assassination attempts, occurred throughout the province. These attacks mainly target regime soldiers and “collaborators”, while some attacks target former opposition fighters who have struck reconciliation deal, civilians and combatants of other military formations operating in Daraa. It is worth noting that the province witnesses symbolic regime domination, while the Iranians strengthen their presence greatly in the province through “Shi’aism” proselytising operations (conversion to Shiite) and attraction of young and adult men, particularly in eastern countryside. The Russians, however, attempt to impose their influence through their proxy militia of the 5th Corps.
Between January 1, 2021, and April 22, 2021, the Syrian Observatory documented 184 attacks which left at least 141 people dead. The breakdown of fatalities could be distributed as follows:
- 36 civilians, including three children
- 75 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 27 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- One Syrian militiaman affiliated to Iranian forces
- Two members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.
According to SOHR statistics, February had the largest share of attacks carried out in 2021 with nearly 54 attacks, then March with 46 attacks. While January comes in the third place with 43 attacks. In April, however, 41 attacks carried out, and this statistic may be increase as it is a week until the end of this month.
April: Since the beginning of this month, SOHR activists could document the death of 31 people, and they were as follows: seven civilians, 13 regime soldiers, “collaborators” and individuals with settled-status, ten former opposition fighters, and one member of the 5th Corps.
March: SOHR activists documented, in March 2021, the death of 48 people, and they were as follows: 39 members of regime forces and security services, “collaborators” and individuals with settled-status, and nine civilians, including two children the father of one of them was a regime “collaborator”.
February: 21 people were killed in February’s attacks, and they were as follows: 11 civilians, nine regime soldiers, “collaborators” and ex-fighters, and one member of the 5th Corps.
January: SOHR activists documented the death of 41 people in January 2021, and they were as follows: nine civilians, 21 regime soldiers and “collaborators”, ten former opposition fighters and one Iranian-backed militiman.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,009 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 686 persons, categorised as follows:
- 187 civilians, including 12 women and 19 children
- 318 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 129 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 25 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.