Assassination attempt | Unidentified gunmen shoot two former opposition fighters in eastern Daraa
Daraa province: The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights activists in the eastern countryside of Daraa have reported an assassination attempt that targeted two men in the town of al-Karak al-Sharqi, as unknown gunmen opened fire on them, leaving the two people injured. It is worth noting that one of the targeted was a former HTS member, while the other person was a former member of a rebel faction who had struck reconciliation deals with regime after it took control of Daraa.
Yesterday, SOHR activists documented the death of two regime soldiers after being shot by unknown gunmen in Nawa city in the western countryside of Daraa.
Earlier, a civilian was shot by unidentified gunmen in the city of al-Hirak in the countryside of Daraa, which caused serious injuries that led to his death after he arrived at a hospital in the city.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,040 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 721 persons, categorised as follows:
- 199 civilians, including 12 women and 21 children
- 339 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 131 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 25 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.