Security vacuum in Daraa | Ex-fighter assassinated in western countryside
Daraa province: SOHR activists have documented the death of a former fighter of opposition factions, after being shot by unknown gunmen in Tasil town in the western countryside of Daraa. It is worth noting that the ex-fighter had struck a reconciliation deal with security services after regime forces’ control of Daraa province.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,045 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 728 persons, categorised as follows:
- 202 civilians, including 13 women and 21 children
- 342 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 132 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 25 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.