Daraa security vacuum | Unknown gunmen shoot dead son of Hezbollah agent and regime solider, and assassination attempt targets two Russian-backed militiamen
Daraa province: SOHR activists have documented the death of a regime soldier and the son of an official in charge of “Shi’aism” proselytising operations (conversion to Shiite) for the favour of the Lebanese Hezbollah from Qarfa village in Daraa countryside, as the two persons were shot dead by unknown gunmen near the bridge of Kherbet Ghazalah town in Daraa countryside.
On the other hand, two members of the Russian-backed 8th Brigade sustained various injuries after unknown gunmen opened fire on them in al-Kahil town in Daraa countryside. It is worth noting that the two militiamen had been fighters in opposition factions, before they struck a reconciliation deal with security services after regime control of the province and joined the 8th Brigade.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,047 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 730 persons, categorised as follows:
- 202 civilians, including 13 women and 21 children
- 343 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 132 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 26 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.