Timeline | Recent developments across Syria
June 2, 2021
– Syrian Observatory activists in al-Mayadeen city in the eastern countryside say that the Iranian-backed Afghani “Liwaa Fatemiyoun” has arrested two members of the regime-backed National Defence Forces (NDF) for “taking photos of its military headquarters in al-Hawi area.
– SOHR activists have documented an IED explosion in Shamal al-Khatt neighbourhood in Daraa city, which caused material damage only.
– Reliable sources have told SOHR that members of a security patrol of nearly ten vehicles stormed civilians’ houses in al-Ruhaybah city in eastern Qalamoun in Rif Dimashq, arresting five people and took them to regime prison in Damascus for unknown reasons.
On the other hand, SOHR activists say that members of a patrol of the military security service have stormed civilians’ houses nearby al-Tawbah mosque in Zamalka city in eastern Ghouta, the major stronghold of al-Rahman Corps during its control of eastern Ghouta, arresting four people, including an old man, for unknown reasons.
Syrian Observatory sources have reported that regime forces and loyal militias warplanes and helicopters backed by Russian air support, have bombarded 110 raids including 100 by the Russian warplanes on desert of al-Shoula in Deir Ezzor and al-Sokhina eastern Homs. Meanwhile, four helicopters have shelled explosive barrels while hovering to monitor the activities of the ISIS cells in the region.
– SOHR activists have reported an IED explosion in the car of a commander of the Turkish-backed Sultan Murad Division, near the new vegetable market in Jarabulus city in eastern Aleppo. The explosion injured the commander seriously, while a man who was escorting the commander sustained light wounds.
– SOHR activists have documented the death of a regime lieutenant affected by the injury he had in rocket fire by Turkish forces, on Monday, on al-Shahbaa area in the northern countryside of Aleppo, which hosts Kurdish and regime forces. It is worth noting that the dead lieutenant was from Masyaf countryside in Hama province.
– Turkish forces and its proxies have bombarded with heavy artillery two villages of Abeen and Ka’tshar in the neighborhood of Shero in Afrin countryside and Tatamroush and Tal Refa’at stationed under control of the Kurdish-held forces northern Aleppo but no casualties have been reported yet.
– SOHR sources have reported seeing Russian forces running a patrol of three armoured vehicles in the villages and towns of Karmiyyah, Ain Diwar, Qasr Deeb, Habl Hawwa, Qadirik and Tel Dar in Al-Milikiyyah countryside (Dayrik), on the Syria-Turkey border in north-east Syria.
The Russian patrol coincided with a separate routine patrol by US forces in the region. The US patrol was escorted by two helicopters.
Syrian Observatory has documented that al-Hawal camp amid initiative of Syrian Democratic Council of the Autonomous Administration to empty the camp located southeast al-Hasakah of Syrians, prepares to deport 59 families from the camp, nearly 202 persons who had come from Ain al-Arab “Kobani” and its countryside.
– Democratic Civil Administration in Manbaj and its countryside has issued a decision to expand the complete curfew for additional 48 hours starting from 1 am on June 3, with considering the humanitarian cases.
Yesterday, SOHR sources reported that tribes’ elders in Manbij area and representatives of the Autonomous Administration have issued a statement following a meeting between the two sides to discuss the dramatic developments in the region in the past two days.
The statement, of which the Syrian Observatory obtained a copy, reads “Manbij city and countryside experience critical situation which needs all of us to undertake moral and humanitarian responsibilities in order to preserve the blood and keep the safe and security of Manbij city and countryside and of people living there. After the dramatic events in our city in the past two days, which left casualties of our people who went out to streets to call for rightful demands, we, the civil and military administration and the tribe’s elders and dignitaries, console our people in Manbij city and countryside, and wish the injured people a speedy recovery.
In accordance with the people’s demands, an enlarged meeting was held and included all tribes in Manbij and the civil and military administration in the interest of staving off strife and preventing bloodshed, in which several points have been agreed upon as follows:
The suspension of the Self-Defence Forces’ campaign in Manbij city and countryside and referring it to consideration and discussion.
The release of all detainees arrested during the recent actions.
The formation of commission in order to investigate the merits according to which gunfire took place and holding everyone found involved in this gunfire accountable.”
On the other hand, tribes which support the uprising against mandatory conscription in Manbij and reject the repression practiced by the security services against the peaceful demonstrators and the use of live bullets during these demonstrations have met in the region, stressing on the fact that their demands have been personalized in the rejection of the use of power and live ammunition against the peaceful protests in Manbij city and countryside.
It is worth noting that the number of demonstrators who were killed in gunfire by Asayish Forces in the past 48 hours has risen to six, four of whom were killed yesterday at al-Khattaf checkpoint in eastern Manbij, one was killed yesterday in Manbij city, while the six was killed on Monday in al-Hodhod village. These demonstrators were killed in the demonstrations protesting mandatory conscription in the ranks of the Self-Defence Forces and calling for allowing the exportation of cement and increasing fuel amounts allocated to Manbij.
“Peace Spring Zone”
– Syrian Observatory activists have reported that a civilian from Tel-Diyab in Ras al-Ain countryside (Sere Kaniye) was murdered in cold blood by members of the Turkish backed faction “Ahrar al-Sharqiya”.
Sources say that the victim demanded “Ahrar al-Sharqiya” members pay for his work in repairing several houses for them, but one of the faction’s officer shoot him in the head and dumped his body out of the village of “Tel Diyab”. In this contest, victim’s family and village residents have demanded that killers must be held accountable for their crime but to no avail. Meanwhile, faction members arrested victim’s brother and took him to civil police security center in Ras al-Ain city.
– SOHR activists have reported seeing HTS members on high alert west of Idlib city, trying to disengage infighting with machine guns between families from Taltona village and families from Kafr- Taanour village. These clashes left four people on both sides dead and six others injured. However, tension remained between the fighting families until this evening, amid continuous state of alert by security forces.
On the other hand, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights activists have monitored security services of HTS on high alert to secure the site of a feast which a former leader in al-Sham Corps called for, after he struck a reconciliation deal with HTS. While poetry forum was prepared in the club playground in Jisr al-Shughour. The feast invitation was applied by hundreds of guests, including leaders of both al-Sham Corps and HTS. It is worth noting that the former leader of al-Sham Corps has got big ransom in return for releasing some regime war prisoners, including one lieutenant.