In response to regime and Russia pressures on population in Daraa | Gunmen attack military headquarters and checkpoints in western countryside amid calls for protests
Daraa province | SOHR activists have reported armed attacks by using light weapons during the past few hours on the headquarters of state security, and the military security and checkpoints of the regime forces and its security service in the city of Nawi and the surrounding areas in the western sector of Daraa countryside, without information about casualties.
The attacks came after the regime forces and security service have brought military reinforcement to Daraa city beside closing basic roads in light of new Russian settlements and giving personal weapons to dozens to the people in the city which provoked wide popular rejection amid call for protests against such demands.
Yesterday, SOHR activists reported that Russian officers have met nearly a week ago with the central committee in Daraa city and asked them to quit personal weapons that were possessed by some persons in some neighborhoods in Daraa and urged them to also strike new reconciliation and settlement deals. However, their request was met with wide popular rejection in different areas of al-Hawarn.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,123 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 767 persons, categorised as follows:
• 220 civilians, including 13 women and 22 children
• 354 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
• 136 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
• 26 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
• 31 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.