Security vacuum in Daraa | Unknown gunmen assassinate regime army defector in Nawa
Daraa province: SOHR activists have documented the death of a regime army defector, who was accused of “cooperating with air-force intelligence branch”, after being shot by unknown gunmen near Oufah bridge in the eastern part of Nawa city in the western countryside of Daraa.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,158 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 803 persons, categorised as follows:
- 234 civilians, including 14 women and 24 children
- 366 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 142 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 27 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 32 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.