Death toll update | Six militiamen, including a commander of 5th Corps, killed in Daraa ambush, while regime forces renew shelling Daraa al-Balaad
Daraa province: SOHR activists have reported that the number of militiamen who were killed in today’s ambush by the regime forces stationed at al-Ruba’i checkpoint between al-Msifrah and al-Jizah towns in eastern Daraa has risen to six, including a commander of the Russian-backed 5th Corps.
Meanwhile, SOHR activists reported that regime forces renewed attacks with tanks on the neighborhoods of Daraa al-Balad.
Earlier today, SOHR sources reported that four militiamen, including a commander of the Russian-backed 5th Corps, were killed in an ambush by regime forces stationed at al-Ruba’i checkpoint between al-Msifrah and al-Jizah cities in the east of Daraa in the early hours of Friday morning. It is worth noting that regime forces took the bodies to their posts in that region.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,172 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 825 persons, categorised as follows:
- 243 civilians, including 14 women and 24 children
- 374 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 148 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 27 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 33 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.