Renewed bombardment | Regime forces shell Daraa al-Balad neighbourhoods, with ongoing clashes and flights by reconnaissance drones
Daraa province: SOHR sources have reported tank and mortar attacks by regime forces on the neighbourhoods of Daraa al-Balad in the early hours of Saturday morning. Meanwhile, clashes erupted between regime forces and local gunmen on the frontlines of al-Manshiyah area, amid the fight of reconnaissance drones.
Last night, SOHR activists reported clashes between regime forces and local armed men on the frontline of al-Kaziyah in al-Mansheya area in Daraa al-Balad. The clashes coincided with regime attacks on planes surrounding al-Rayy area between al-Muzayrib and al-Yadouda in the western countryside of Daraa villages with heavy machineguns. However, no casualties were reported.
A few hours earlier, SOHR activists reported that the number of militiamen who were killed in today’s ambush by the regime forces stationed at al-Ruba’i checkpoint between al-Msifrah and al-Jizah towns in eastern Daraa rose to six, including a commander of the Russian-backed 5th Corps.
Meanwhile, SOHR activists reported that regime forces renewed attacks with tanks on the neighborhoods of Daraa al-Balad.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,172 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 825 persons, categorised as follows:
- 243 civilians, including 14 women and 24 children
- 374 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 148 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 27 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 33 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.