Aleppo University | Students staged a vigil, protesting raising registration fees by the Ministry of Education of the “Interim Government”
Aleppo province: SOHR activists have reported a vigil staged by dozens of the students of Aleppo University in Azaz city, north of Aleppo, protesting the decision by the Ministry of Education of the “Interim Government” to raise the registration fees of the university, according to each educational branch, by 25 to 50% more than the last season’s.
The registration fees have been risen as follow:
- Faculty of Medicine: from 250 USD to 300 USD.
- Faculty of Dentistry: from 225 USD to 300 USD.
- Faculty of Pharmacy: from 200 USD to 250 USD.
The Ministry of Education also set the registration fees of parallel education in these three faculties at 500 USD.
Moreover, the fees of the faculties and institutes affiliated to the ministry were also increased as follows:
- Faculty of Engineering: from 200 USD to 250 USD with registration fees of parallel education being set at 400 USD.
- Technical faculties and institutes: from 125 USD to 200 USD with registration fees of parallel education being set at 300 USD.
- The rest of the institutes: from 100 USD to 150 USD with registration fees of parallel education being set at 175 USD.
Aleppo University’s new resolution has ignited widespread anger among a large number of students, especially since most of the students have been displaced from different areas throughout Syria due to military operations in their areas.
It is worth noting that dozens of students were dismissed last year by the university’s administration because they were unable to pay the fees.