Growing popular discontent | Turkey refuses handing the Syrian refugees’ file to UN Commissioner
SOHR activists have reported growing resentment among the Syrians in Turkey, who are denied the right to asylum, in light of Turkey’s rejection of handing the files of Syrian refugees to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), as it is the case in Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.
On this context, Turkish Immigration Department has issued a statement, announcing new procedures concerning the Syrians granted the temporary protection cards ”Kimlik”.
The new procedures included the following:
· Suspension of all new registrations to obtain the temporary protection card ”Kimlik” in Ankara starting from tomorrow.
· Determining the identities of the Syrians holding the temporary protection cards from other states and turn them back to these states.
· Start demolishing all abandoned houses and buildings that might be used as a hideout for undocumented immigrants and sending these buildings’ inhabitants back to the states where they had been registered.
· Arresting undocumented immigrants who don’t own temporary protection cards or residence permits and sending them to deportation centers in Ankara immigration directorate in preparation for deporting them to Syria.
· Applying legal procedures regarding workplaces and stores which do not have tax plates for foreigners.