Five attacks in 48 hours | ISIS kills and injures nearly five combatants in SDF-controlled areas in Deir Ezzor
With the escalating retaliatory attacks by ISIS cells in areas under the control of Syria Democratic Forces (SDF), particularly in Deir Ezzor, SOHR activists have documented five attacks since early October, exactly from October 2 to October 4. These attacks targeted SDF-backed military formations and left one combatant dead and three others injured, as well as causing material damage.
Here are further details on ISIS cells’ attacks in SDF-controlled areas in the past two days:
- October 2: Gunmen of ISIS cells detonated an IED while a military vehicle carrying combatants and a commander of a regiment affiliated to the SDF-backed Deir Ezzor Military Council Forces was passing in Al-Suwar town in north Deir Ezzor countryside. The attack left three persons injuries: two members of the Deir Ezzor Military Council Forces and a member of the Internal Security Forces “Asayish.”
- October 2: An IED exploded in the market of “Al-Khadra” roundabout in Al-Jazara town in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor, which caused material damage only.
- October 3: Gunmen of ISIS cells detonated an IED in a currency exchange shop in Al-Izba town market in north Deir Ezzor countryside, which caused material damage only.
- October 4: An explosion rocked the SDF-held city of Al-Busayra in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. It was caused by detonating an IED in a car, “Carnival” make, at a side street which is located nearly 200 metres away from the entrance of Al-Busayra city, which caused material damage only.
- October 4: A members of “Deir Ezzor Military Council” from Al-Suwar district was found dead with gunshot wounds near Al-Haraqat area nearby Al-Jasmi village in the northern countryside of Deir Ezzor. A piece of paper was found with the body with a note written on it which read “he was killed for involving in prostitution business.” SOHR sources suggested that the SDF-backed member was executed by ISIS members.
SOHR has documented 147 operations carried out by ISIS, including armed attacks and explosions, in areas under the control of the Autonomous Administration since early 2022. According to SOHR statistics, these operations left 114 persons dead: 39 civilians, including two women and a child, and 75 members of SDF, the Internal Security Forces and other military formations operating in areas under the control of the Autonomous Administration.
It is worth noting that these attacks have not included the operation of Ghuwayran prison, which left heavy losses.