Turkish atro*cities | Syrian lawyer, “Luqman Hanan,” di*es under tor*ture in Turkish inte*lligence prisons in Afrin
SOHR condemns the de*ath of lawyer and human rights activist," Luqman Hanan" by Turkish inte*lligence
This morning, a 45-year-old Syrian lawyer and human rights activist, “Luqman Hamid Hanan” died under torture in a Turkish intelligence prison in Afrin city, north of Aleppo, after he was arrested two days ago from his home in Al-Mahmudiyah neighbourhood of Afrin city for “criticising Turkish heinous practices” in a post on social media.
The lawyer is from Haj Qasima village in Maabatli district of Afrin countryside, north-east of Aleppo. The victim suffered from a chronic illness and was previously arrested by the Military Police on July 26, 2020, he was then released after paying a large ransom.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), based on its role as a human rights institution, condemns the heinous practices and violating human rights by Turkish intelligence and Turkish-backed National Army factions, amid a clear apathy and neglect by Turkey to all International laws guaranteeing the right to peaceful expression of opinion to all.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights deplores ongoing blatant violations committed by Turkey and its proxy factions in areas controlled by Turkish-backed factions by the arrest of journalists, activists, and intellectuals without any specific offence or charge other than the legitimate expression of their viewpoints in peaceful and civilised ways on the continuing abuses of human rights committed by the Turkish forces and their proxy factions in northern Syria.
SOHR asserts that the death of the lawyer and human rights activist, “Luqman Hanan bin Hamid,” is one of the lists of long crimes committed by the Turkish forces and their proxy factions since capturing areas in northern Syria. This crime will not be the last in light of non-compliance by Turkey with any international charters and covenants.
SOHR also calls for an immediate investigation into the circumstances of this crime and that all those involved be brought to justice for a flagrant violation of human rights and the right to express their opinion.
The crime of torture and murder of the lawyer reveals the extent of the brutality practised by Turkish intelligence in detention centres in northern Syria, which poses a danger to the life of those currently detained in these detention centres.
Since early 2022, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) has documented the death of five civilians under torture in Turkish intelligence prisons and detention centres, here are further details:
• Early in February: A young man from Jaqlan Fawqani village in Sheikh Al-Hadid district of Afrin died in Turkish hospital due to a stroke caused by subjecting to torture by Ahrar Al-Sharqiyyah faction in Afrin.
• Late February: A displaced man from Hama died under torture by Al-Sham Corps members after being arrested from Afrin countryside.
• November 3: A displaced man from Homs city died under torture in Ahrar Al-Sham prison in Qabasin in Al-Bab countryside, east of Aleppo, two days after he was kidnapped by Ahrar Al-Sham security forces.
• November 14: A civilian from Al-Bab city died at Al-Ra’i hospital after suffering long torture and burning during his abduction in Al-Bab city in the eastern countryside of Aleppo.
• December 22: Lawyer and human rights activist, “Luqman Hanan bin Hamid,” died under torture in a Turkish intelligence prison in Afrin, north of Aleppo, after being arrested two days earlier.