IS-IS resurgence | 14 people kil-led Despite security operations by SDF and International Coalition
ISIS attacks have dramatically escalated and continued in an upward trend in areas controlled by the Autonomous Administration of North and North-east Syria, despite all the counter-security campaigns carried out by the SDF with the support of the international coalition forces.
Since the beginning of 2023, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) activists have documented 20 operations, armed attacks, and explosions carried out by ISIS cells. According to the Syrian Observatory, these attacks left 18 people dead; they are as follows:
• Three civilians.
• 14 SDF, internal security forces and other military formations operating in the autonomous Administration-held areas.
Here are further details of ISIS operations and attacks in SDF-held areas since early 2023:
• January 1: Two members of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) were injured in the explosion of an IED that was planted by ISIS members in a military vehicle on the road between Al-Raqqah city and Ain Issa town, north of Al-Raqqah.
• January 2: The Body of an unidentified man in his forties was found with gunshot wounds to the head in Abu Al-Naytel, north of Deir Ezzor. The body was taken to the hospital and then buried at the cemetery in Al-Sour city.
• January 2: Two members of Internal Security Forces (Asayish) were injured by a landmine planted on the roadside, coinciding with the passage of Asayish military vehicle, on Ain Issa-Tel Al-Samen road in the northern Al-Raqqah countryside.
• January 3: An SDF military vehicle was hit by IED on Al-Manakher road, east of Al-Raqqah.
• January 4: Two unidentified gunmen on a motorcycle targeted an SDF military vehicle with machine guns, near Al-Tabqah junction, west of Al-Raqqah.
• January 4: A member of the internal security forces (Asayish) died of wounds he sustained in an attack carried out by ISIS cells on Abyad road linking the cities of Al-Raqqah and Al-Hasakah.
• January 4: An SDF member was killed, and six others were seriously injured by a landmine planted by ISIS cells on the road to Al-Sayyid Ibrahim in the southern countryside of Manbij, east of Aleppo, coinciding with the passing of a military vehicle carrying SDF members.
• January 4: Gunmen, believed to be ISIS members, targeted a leader of the Internal Security Forces, near an Asayish checkpoint, in Al-Sabhah town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor, leaving no casualties.
• January 4: Five SDF members were killed and another seriously injured by the explosion of a landmine, planted by ISIS, on the road to Al-Sayyid Ibrahim in the southern countryside of Manbij, east of Aleppo, coinciding with the passing of a military vehicle carrying SDF members.
• January 7: A young man was killed by ISIS gunmen on motorcycles in Al-Hasan village in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor.
• January 10: ISIS members attempted to assassinate a spokesman for Al-Bakir tribe, Reda Al-Awad, nicknamed “Al-Sistani,” the head of the local council of Al-Ezbet village, located in SDF-held areas, in the northern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
• January 11: Two SDF members were killed in an armed attack by ISIS cells on Al-Raqqah-Al-Samrah road, east of Al-Raqqah city.
• January 12: An SDF member was injured by the explosion of an IED planted by ISIS on the road to Ain Issa town north of Al-Raqqah while a military vehicle carrying SDF members was passing.
• January 12: A member of Internal Security Forces (Asayish) was shot dead by gunmen, riding a motorcycle, believed to be affiliated with ISIS cells, in Al-Hasan town in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor.
• January 19: Gunmen believed to be ISIS cells have attacked a military vehicle of SDF with bullets, on the road between Al-Hasakah and Al-Hawl at Rad Al-Shaqra village, causing the injury of four members and they were taken to the hospital.
• On January 20: SOHR sources reported that unknown gunmen on a motorcycle, believed to be of ISIS cells, unleashed an attack on a military checkpoint of the “Internal Security Forces” (Asayish) in the south of Al-Jawadiyah town in Al-Qamishli countryside in northern Al-Hasakah.
• On January 22: The body of a member of Al-Bakir tribe was found by people on the outskirts of Al-Harijiyah village next to the irrigation canal in the northern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The tribesman was murdered in mysterious circumstances by multiple gunshots by unknown persons, believed to be ISIS members.”
• On January 25: Three SDF members were killed when two unidentified gunmen, believed to be affiliated with ISIS,” on a motorcycle, targeted with light weapons an SDF Al-Kaziyah checkpoint in Al-Hawaij village in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The gunmen fled to an unknown destination.
• On January 25: when two unidentified gunmen, believed to be affiliated with ISIS,” on a motorcycle, targeted with light weapons an SDF Al-Kaziyah checkpoint in Al-Hawaij village in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The gunmen fled to an unknown destination.
• On January 27: ISIS cells have executed a former SDF member in Al-Sawr eastern desert northern of Deir Ezzor, two days after kidnapping him by ISIS.
SOHR has documented 20 operations carried out by ISIS, including armed attacks and explosions, in areas under the control of the Autonomous Administration since early 2023. According to SOHR statistics, these operations left 18 persons dead: Three civilians, 14 members of SDF, the Internal Security Forces, and other military formations operating in areas under the control of the Autonomous Administration and one unidentified man. These operations are distributed regionally as follows:
• Al-Raqqah: Eight attacks left three combatants dead.
• Deir Ezzor: Eight attacks left three civilians, an unidentified man and four combatants dead.
• Aleppo: Two attacks left six combatants, including commanders, dead.
• Al-Hasakah: Two attacks left a combatant dead and others injured.