Death toll update | ISIS kills 23 regime soldiers in Al-Mayadeen desert
Deir Ezzor province: SOHR activists have reported a spike in the number of regime soldiers who were killed in an ISIS attack on a military bus on the road to T2 in Al-Mayadeen desert in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. According to SOHR sources, 23 regime soldiers were killed and ten others were injured, while the fate of tens others remains unknown. The number of fatalities is expected to rise further, as some of the soldiers sustained serious injuries.
According to SOHR statistics, the number of fatalities in military operations in the Syrian desert since early 2023 has increased to 402; and they are as follows:
- 20 ISIS members were killed in clashes with regime forces and Russian airstrikes on ISIS hideouts in the deserts of Homs, Al-Suwaidaa, Hama, Al-Raqqah, Deir Ezzor and Aleppo.
- 225 members of regime forces and their proxy militias, including 37 Iranian-backed Syrian and non-Syrian militiamen, were killed in 106 operations by ISIS members, including ambushes, armed attacks, and explosions, in west Euphrates region and the deserts of Deir Ezzor, Al-Raqqah, Homs, Al-Suwaidaa, Hama and Aleppo.
- 157 civilians, including a woman, were killed in attacks by ISIS in the Syrian desert.
Here is a regional distribution of ISIS attacks in 2023:
-Homs desert: 35 operations left 160 fatalities:
- 67 combatants, including 12 Iranian-backed militias.
- 88 civilians, including a woman.
- Five ISIS members.
-Al-Raqqah desert: 11 operations left 33 fatalities:
- 29 combatants.
- Three ISIS members.
- One civilian.
-Deir Ezzor desert: 42 operations which left 115 fatalities:
- 92 combatants, including 20 Iranian-backed militias.
- Seven ISIS members.
- 16 civilian.
-Hama desert: 15 operations which left 87 fatalities:
- 49 civilians.
- 34 combatants, including five Iranian-backed militiamen.
- Five ISIS members.
-Aleppo desert: Three operations left three combatants, including two members of the 25th Division, and three civilians dead.