Amid uprising in the “cradle of the Syrian Revolution” | Daraa province tops list of security disorder in August with 32 incidents
Daraa province has experienced noticeable escalation of security chaos, which was manifested in daily assassinations, armed attacks and explosions. In this context, SOHR documents 32 incidents of security disorder which left 33 fatalities; they are as follows:
- 13 civilians, including a child.
- Two ISIS members.
- 16 members of regime forces, including “Al-Kasem”, two correspondents working for Sama press agency, and a member of the 8th
- One ex-fighter who did not join any military formations, after having struck a reconciliation deal with the Syrian regime.
- One person accused of “involving in drug trafficking.”
Further details on the incidents of security disorder in August in Daraa province can be summarised as follows:
- August 2: A number of young men blew up the house of the commander in the military intelligence, “Mostafa Qasim Al-Musalmah” aka “Al-Kasem” in Al-Sheyah area in Daraa city, following the violations carried out by the military intelligence in the region, where they arrested five persons and stole civilians’ property, including cars, cattle, gold and money.
- August 2: Two unidentified gunmen on a motorbike opened fire directly on a member of the Eighth Brigade, after they stormed his store in Khirbat Ghazala Town in eastern Daraa countryside, killing him immediately.
- August 3: Residents found the body of a young man who was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Nawa city in the western countryside of Daraa. It is noted that the young man was working in a household and electrical appliances store and did not belong to any military or security party.
- August 3: A young man was directly shot by unknown gunmen in an attempt to kill him, in Nawa city. No information about his injury was reported.
- August 3: SOHR sources reported that two security members, including an official in studies department of political security service, were injured, after having been shot by unknown gunmen on motorcycles in Qabtah village in the northern countryside of Daraa. The two members were taken to Al-Sanamayn hospital to the west of Daraa city.
- August 3: SOHR sources reported that members of a local group from Jasim city in the northern countryside of Daraa arrested four persons last night for “belonging to ISIS cells.” The arrested people included an ISIS Emir (top commander), and they were arrested after the local group stormed their house in a neighbourhood in the north of Jasim city.
- August 4: Three civilians from one family, including a child, were shot dead by unknown gunmen, as they were heading towards their land in Al-Ash’ary area west of Tafel city in the western countryside of Daraa, while the gunmen fled to an unknown destination.
- August 4: A regime drone targeted the house of the brother of the former leader called “Mohammad Badeoui Al-Zuabi” in the western neighbourhood of Tafas city in the western countryside of Daraa, where a violent explosion was heard in the city, coinciding with heavy gunfire. No causalities were reported.
- August 5: A civilian in his 50s was shot dead by unidentified gunmen on motorbikes in Al-Yadouda Town in western Daraa countryside.
- August 7: Residents found the bodies of two young men from Om Batna Town in Al-Qonaitara countryside, who were field executed and dumped in the western graveyard of Jassim City northern of Daraa, after they were arrested by a local group that stormed the neighbourhood on August 2, where it was revealed that the two young men were accused of “dealing with ISIS.”
- August 9: Seven people were killed due to an IED explosion in Al-Shayah area in Daraa Al-Balad in Daraa City are: Mostafa Al-Musalimah aka Al-Kasim, journalist of regime affiliated Sama Channel and five members of military security forces.
- August 9: A regime soldier was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Al-Sanamen city in the northern countryside of Daraa.
- August 9: A member of the State Security was shot dead by unidentified gunmen on a motorbike in Inkhil City in northern Daraa countryside.
- August 11: SOHR activists reported hearing successive explosions in the early hours of Friday morning in Al-Arba’in neighbourhood in Daraa Al-Balad, which were caused by bombardment with mortars fired from posts where members of the group of “Mustafa Al-Masalimah,” nicknamed “Al-Kasam,” are stationed.
- August 11: SOHR sources reported that unknown gunmen shot dead a member of a local group affiliated to the regime’s military intelligence branch near Al-Imam Al-Nawawi mosque in Nawa city centre in Daraa countryside. The hit man, who was accused of “involving in drug business,” had been an arms dealers before he struck a reconciliation deal in 2018 and joined that local group.
- August 11: Two people working in a gas station on the road between Al-Shaikh Saad Village and Nawa City were injured after being directly shot by unidentified gunmen in Nawa City in western Daraa countryside, where they were taken to hospitals of the city to receive proper medication.
- August 14: A “collaborator” with the regime’s military intelligence branch was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Inkhil city in the northern countryside of Daraa. It is worth noting that the hit man was an escort of a member of the People’s Assembly of Syria from the same city.
- August 15: SOHR sources reported that unknown gunmen opened fire on a university student in Mahajah town in Daraa countryside, injuring him seriously. The young man was taken to a hospital.
- August 16: A person worked in livestock breeding was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Tafas city in the western countryside of Daraa.
- August 16: The commander of a local armed group working for the Military Intelligence Department in Inkhil City was poisoned while drinking his coffee, where the commander is accused of “committing violations against the civilians in Inkhil City.”
- August 18: Three persons were killed due to a quarrel between two related families, in Al-Tinah village west of Al-Lejat area in the eastern countryside of Daraa, because of a revenge case between them, where the quarrel evolved into using weapons and clashes erupted between both sides, while tension still prevails in the area.
- August 18: Unidentified gunmen opened fire directly on a university student in Mahja Town northern of Daraa, killing him immediately, while the gunmen fled to an unknown destination. It Is worth noting that the student is a civilian and doesn’t belong to any military or local sides.
- August 19: SOHR activists reported that a man was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Al-Sanamayn area in the northern countryside of Daraa. The targeted man had been a member of an opposition faction, and he struck a reconciliation deal with the Syrian regime, after regime forces had regained the control of Daraa province in 2018.
- August 21: Two members of 112th Brigade were killed and one injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen on a military checkpoint of the regime on Abo Hartin Road in Daraa countryside.
- August 22: A local commander of the Military Intelligence Department, who is affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah, were directly shot along with his companion in the area between Da’il City and Ibtae’ Town in middle Daraa countryside.
- August 23: A young man was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in the area between Karim and Sha’ara Villages northern of Al-Lojaa area in eastern Daraa countryside. The victim hails from Karim southern villages.
- August 25: Unidentified gunmen opened fire directly on a civilian in Nawa City in western Daraa countryside, killing him immediately. Meanwhile, the gunmen fled to an unknown destination.
- August 26: SOHR sources reported a new security chaos incident within Daraa province, where a body was found within agricultural lands in the vicinity of Al-Museyfrah town in the eastern countryside of Daraa. No information was received on the identity of the body and the circumstances of the killing.
- August 26: A person In his 40s was subjected to a murder attempt, where he was directly shot while on the road between Al-Maliha Al-Gharbiya Town and Al-Hirak City in eastern Daraa countryside, causing him to get injured and he was taken to the national hospital in Daraa City. The targeted person works as a government employee in social affairs and treasurer of the charitable association in Al-Hirak City.
- August 28: Unidentified gunmen opened fire directly on a drug dealer in Al-Sanmin City in northern Daraa countryside, killing him immediately.
- August 29: Shooting was heard in Daraa coinciding with a drone dropping a bomb on the house of the local commander “Mohammed Al-Bidewy Al-Zo’aby” in Tafs City in western Daraa countryside, with no information regarding casualties. It Is worth noting that the targeted commander is the brother of the local commander “Khaldoun Al-Bidwey Al-Zo’aby”, who was previously assassinated.
- August 30: Five people including two children were injured after being directly shot by unidentified gunmen on motorbikes in Nawa City western of Daraa.
On the other hand, all zones of influence across Syria have experienced public uprising in August due to the deteriorating living and economic conditions. Residents in Daraa province staged several protests against the Syrian regime, demanding the overthrow of Bashar al-Assad, implementation of the UN Resolution No. 2254 and applying of the political transition in Syria, while regime forces tried to disperse the demonstrators in by force.
Here are further details on the demonstrations staged in Daraa province in August:
- August 18: Dozens of people staged sit-in protests this noon in different areas of Daraa, condemning determination of living, economic and security conditions in the region. The protests took place In Nawa city in western Daraa countryside, Al-Harak city in eastern Daraa countryside, Jassim and Inkhil cities in northern Daraa countryside, in response to people’s calls for peaceful demonstration and general strike. The protesters raised the flag of the Syrian Revolution and chanted slogans that read “ To live in peace, Bashar Al-Assad must step down,” “leave us we want to live,” and “release the detainees.”
- August 19: Hundreds of Saida Town in Daraa went out on peaceful demonstrations in front of Al-Aswad Al-Kabir Mosque in Saida Town in eastern Daraa countryside, where the protestors demanded improvement in living conditions and the release of detainees, while the State Security fired flare bombs to intimidate the protestors. Moreover, Inkhil City, Tel Shehab Town and Salmin Junction in Daraa countryside witnessed protests against the regime and its policy that intentionally humiliates and starves the Syrian people, while the Security State opened fire on a protest in Salmin Junction to disperse the protesters.
- August 20: SOHR sources reported demonstrations in the cities of Jasim, Da’el, Al-Sanamayn and Tasil and the towns of Al-Shajarah and Sahem Al-Gulan in Daraa countryside, where the demonstrators called for the toppling of Al-Assad and release of detainees.
- August 22: SOHR sources reported that regime forces fired artillery shells on the surrounding areas of Nawa city in western Daraa, following clashes between young men from the city and members of the regime military intelligence branch. The clashes erupted after regime forces opened fire on peaceful demonstrators near Al-Makhfar roundabout in Nawa city.
- August 25: Several cities and villages in Daraa witnessed mass demonstrations today, where dozens of people staged several protests in the villages and cities of Bassra Al-Sham, Al-Muzayrib, Nawa, Tafas, Mahajah, Taiba, Al-Harak and James in Daraa countryside, supporting the uprising in Al-Suwaidaa province and demanding the overthrow of the head of the Syrian regime, implementing of UN Resolution No. 2254 and applying of the political transition in Syria. The protesters held banners with slogans written on them that read: “you have burnt Syria, take your president and get out of Syria” “we will never abandon detainees,” “ those who have killed Syrians and looted their livelihood, cannot provide solutions, and they must leave.”
- August 26: Regime members opened fire randomly on protesters from Al-Sanmin City in northern Daraa countryside, where the members opened fire from the inside of the post office in the city. However, no casualties were reported.