Abo Baker al- Baghdadi gives conditional “safety” for the Christians of al- Qaryatian and makes a contract with them after a year and half of making another one with the Christians of al- Raqqa
SOHR received a copy of the Dhimma contract ( it is the infidels endorsement of their disbelief under the condition of paying Jizya and the commitment of the provisions of Islam) issued by “Islamic State” for the Christian people in the IS-held city of al- Qaryatain in the southeast of Homs.
The text of covenant stated, “this is what Abdullah Abo Baker al- Baghdadi Amir al- Mueminin gives to the Christians in Damascus State – al- Qaryatin sector, where he guarantees their money, souls, not to force them to change their religion and not to harm anyone of them.
The text of covenant added some conditions on the Christians in the city of al- Qaryatian that are:
- Not to establish any church, monastery and hermitage.
- Not to show a cross or anything from their books in Muslims roads and markets, and not to use amplifiers when they perform their prayers.
- Not to make Muslims hear the recitation of their books and sound of their bells, and to use the bells only inside the churches.
- No to do any aggressive acts against “Islamic State” such as hiding spies and the wanted, and if they know that there is conspiracy against Muslims they have to reported that.
- To commit themselves not to show something of their rituals of worship.
- To respect Islam and Muslims, so not to vilify anything in their religion.
- The Christians must comply with paying Jizya (a religiously required per capita tax on non-Muslims under Islamic law) that is 4 golden dinars (the dinar here means the golden dinar that was used in transactions because it has fixed amount that is 4.25 gm of pure gold) paid by the rich, half of them paid by the middle class and half of that on the poor, and they can pay them in two installments a year.
- They cannot have weapons.
- Do not trade in the sale of pork or wine with Muslims or in their markets and do not drink wine in public.
- They have their own cemetery as usual.
- To commit themselves of regulations imposed by “Islamic State” like modesty in wearing clothes and regulations of buying and selling etc.
The statement concluded, “if they comply with these conditions, so they have are safe in their lands, money and souls, and they are not going to pay one-tenth except they bring money to trade from outside the IS territories not oppressor nor oppressed. None of them is going to be punished under a sin committed by another else of them. In case they violate the conditions of this writ, then “Islamic State” is going to deal with them as they deal with people of war (warriors).
It is noted that reliable sources informed SOHR yesterday that IS received money in the last 48 hours from Christian clerks from the city of al- Qaryatain in the southeast of Homs, where IS imposed Jizya (a religiously required per capita tax on non-Muslims under Islamic law) on the Christians in the city of al- Qaryatain after agreeing with them and making them to choose among paying Jizya, entering into Islam or leaving the city. Meanwhile, IS is still keeping the Christian citizens’ IDs. The sources reported that most people of the city are going leave after taking their IDs.
In August 20, “Islamic State demolished a monastery belongs to the Christian people in the southeast of Homs. SOHR knew that IS destroyed the monastery of Saint Elian in the city of al- Qaryatayn seized by IS in August 6, where they pulled it down using bulldozers claiming that “the monastery is worshiped beside Allah”, coincided with carrying out 20 raids by the regime warplanes on the city.