Syria gas attack symptoms confirmed by doctors group • The Syrian Observatory For Human Rights

Syria gas attack symptoms confirmed by doctors group

40339630si-syria-gas-300

Syrian state media accused rebels of using chemical arms against government troops in clashes Saturday near Damascus, while an international aid group said it has tallied 355 deaths from a purported chemical weapons attack earlier this week.

Doctors Without Borders said three hospitals it supports in the eastern Damascus region reported receiving roughly 3,600 patients with “neurotoxic symptoms” over less than three hours on Wednesday morning, when the attack in the eastern Ghouta area took place.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Saturday that its estimated death toll from the alleged chemical attack had reached 322, including 54 children, 82 women and dozens of fighters. It said the dead included 16 who have not been identified.

The group said it raised its death toll from an earlier figure of 136, which had been calculated before its activists in the stricken areas met doctors, residents and saw medical reports. It said the dead “fell in the massacre committed by the Syrian regime.”

Death tolls have varied wildly over the alleged attack, with Syrian anti-government activists reporting between 322 and 1,300 killed.

George Sabra, leader of the Syrian National Council, told CBC News that “logically,” the only faction capable of launching such an attack would be government forces.

“Everybody knows that was not the first time which the regime used the chemical weapons,” he said from Montreal, adding that the U.S., British and French governments have collected evidence to support his claims.

Sabra urged the UN to send an investigation committee to “discover the truth” in Damascus with regard to neurotoxic casualties suffered by opposition fighters.

A Syrian man mourns over a dead body after an alleged poisonous gas attack fired by regime forces, according to activists, in Douma town, Damascus.A Syrian man mourns over a dead body after an alleged poisonous gas attack fired by regime forces, according to activists, in Douma town, Damascus. (Media office of Douma City/Associated Press)

Sabra will be meeting members of the Syrian-Canadian community this week in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, and will also be speaking with Canada’s foreign affairs minister John Baird.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has already spoken with his French and British counterparts about the Syria crisis. According to officials in Ottawa, French President François Hollande and British Prime Minister David Cameron shared concerns with Harper about accusations that the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons on civilians.

‘100% sure’ about chemical weapons

Stephen Cornish, executive director of Doctors Without Borders, told CBC News the organization’s death tallies from chemical weapons come from reliable sources within Syria.

An activist wearing a gas mask is seen in the Zamalka area, where activists say chemical weapons were used by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.An activist wearing a gas mask is seen in the Zamalka area, where activists say chemical weapons were used by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad. (Bassam Khabieh/Reuters)

“In three of the locations where we’ve been helping, the doctors were receiving patients after the attack on Damascus on Wednesday, and that’s where we’ve been able to confirm the number we’ve quoted,” he said.

If the claims are true that the regime used chemical weapons on opposition fighters, Cornish said it would be a “moral outrage.”

President of Doctors Without Borders Mego Terzian has said the evidence about a chemical attack is unequivocal.

“We are almost sure, even 100 per cent sure, that neurotoxic agents have been used, what type of agent we can not confirm, who did that — rebels or government troops — we cannot confirm,” he said.

Meanwhile, U.S. naval forces are moving closer to Syria as President Barack Obama considers a military response to the alleged chemical weapons use by President Bashar Assad’s government.

U.S. defense officials told The Associated Press that the Navy had sent a fourth warship armed with ballistic missiles into the eastern Mediterranean Sea but without immediate orders for any missile launch into Syria. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss ship movements publicly.

Obama to decide on intervention

Obama emphasized that a quick intervention in the Syrian civil war was problematic, given the international considerations that should precede a military strike. The White House said the president would meet Saturday with his national security team to consider possible next steps by the United States. Officials say once the facts are clear, Obama will make a decision about how to proceed.

Syria’s Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi dismissed the possibility of an American attack, warning that such a move would risk triggering more violence in the region.

“The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East,” al-Zoubi said in an interview with Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV. “An attack on Syria would be no easy trip.”

cbcca

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More