Missile strikes target the northern countryside of Homs only one day following the meeting of the military and local commissions with the Russians
Homs Province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: explosions were heard in the northern countryside of Homs and they turned out to be caused by the fall of two shells fired by the regime forces on places in Talbesa city the northern countryside of Homs and a third on an area in Al-Rastn city there. The shelling left three people, including a girl, injured in Talbesa city. This is considered the first targeting operation since the meeting that was held yesterday in the northern countryside of Homs between the factions and local commissions on one hand and representatives of the Russian forces in Hamimim on the other in order to reach a new agreement on calling a new truce in the northern countryside of Homs. The SOHR published yesterday that the factions and local and legitimate entities in the northern countryside of Homs reached a new draft agreement with the Russian delegation from Hamimim Center against the backdrop of the meeting that was held between them in the northern countryside of Homs in the afternoon yesterday. The SOHR obtained a copy of the draft agreement that read as follows “on the 13th of August 2017, the Negotiation Delegation, appointed by the General Authority for Negotiations, which represent all concerned commissions (local, military and legitimate), met with the Russian Delegation at 4:00 pm in a tent dedicated to the meeting at the outskirts of Al-Dar Al-Kabeira in the neutral zone in the northern countryside of Homs.”
After discussions, it was agreed at this meeting that:
- To start drafting a new draft agreement and discussing it with the Russian delegation in the next meetings.
- Commitment to cease-fire within the area of reducing the escalation in the whole liberated countryside.
- Facilitating the entry of international relief convoys by the Russian party.
- Confirming the release of all detainees and this item will be a priority of the terms of the agreement.
It’s important to mention that the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights published hours ago that a new meeting was held in the northern countryside of Homs, between the factions and locals on one hand, and representatives of the Russian forces in Hmeimim on the other, as a second round of talks and negotiations in the hope of reaching an agreement that will result the de-escalation in the northern countryside of Homs and the southern countryside of Hama.
It worth mentioning the Egyptian Russian truce implemented in the northern countryside of Homs at noon of the 3rd of August has been collapsed, after one week of its implementation in areas in the northern countryside of Homs, where information is still conflicting about the reasons of the collapse of the Egyptian – Russian truce to “de-escalate the tension and military operations in the northern countryside of Homs”, as some parties accused the regime of non-compliance to the cease-fire agreement in the northern countryside of Homs, while others parties said that the parties of the negotiation said that this agreement does not meet their demands.
The SOHR published at noon the 3rd of August that a new agreement of “easing the tension and military operations in the northern countryside of Homs” to has been applied, this countryside includes the towns of Talbiseh and al-Rastan and the area of al-Houla, as well as other villages and towns in its countryside, with Russian guarantee, and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights obtained a copy of the text of the agreement, which states:
- The opposition’s commitment to the ceasefire and joining the cessation of hostilities, and welcomes the establishment of a de-escalation area in Homs countryside area, where the borders of the de-escalation zone in the countryside of Homs will be determined and drawn on the map, which includes the geographical coordinates of the contact lines between the disputing parties, hereinafter called the parties.
- the opposition commits to cease all types of acts of fighting against the other disputing party, provided that the regime and its allies shall commit to the ceasefire process against the other party, starting at the precise specified hour, specified minute and the date of signature according to Damascus time, the parties guarantee the immediate cessation of the use of air and rocket weapons, artillery and mortars, as well as light weapons from both parties.
- Starting from the hour of the date of the ceasefire, the real contact line of the disputed parties is fixed on the map, and is not subject to change during the cessation of hostilities period.
- The opposition commits to the absence of any members of Hayyaat Tahrir Al-Sham organization (Nusra Front formerly) in the areas under its control in the countryside of Homs, and takes all actions to prevent their return or re-emergence there, and confirms its position which refuses ISIS organization in the countryside of Homs and emphasizes the fight against this ideology culturally and militarily.
- During the activation period of the de-escalation zone, the parties commit after the breach of this agreement, and the opposition-controlled areas shall not be subjected to any airstrike.
- Any breach by any party, against it shall be applied what came in the violations-documenting mechanisms in this agreement.
- the opposition agrees about the necessity of taking required procedures to improve the humanitarian situation in the de-escalation zone in the countryside of Homs, and to this end in the first phase, both parties will ensure as a showing for goodwill; the free entry for the relief convoys loaded with the needs of food and medicine to the de-escalation zones in the countryside of Homs, together with providing the required guarantees, start evacuating patients and injuries and transporting them to Russian or Syrian hospitals for treatment as they wish.
(The Russian draft also referred to the introduction of materials for the reconstruction of destroyed infrastructure, in accordance to the request of the opposition, and a list of the materials will be prepared by a detailed record, then the forces that monitor the de-escalation inspect all humanitarian relief convoys before entering the de-escalation zones in the countryside of Homs.
- Economic and commercial movement shall be facilitated without specifying the quantities and qualities to and from the countryside Rif Dimashq, including the necessary fuel, spare parts and equipment, and the return of all civilian and humanitarian activities and reconstruction to the area.
- Forming a local councils of the population of this area within 10 days from the date of signing the agreement, entrusted to the administration of citizens ‘ Affairs, and ensure the peaceful daily activities of civilians, and forming the National Council of Justice to peacefully settle differences between people.
- Where necessary, separate records may be prepared and signed, in order to scrutinize and amend some of the provisions of this agreement.
- The opposition notes the it accept the Federal Republic ofRussia to be as a guarantor for applying this agreement, provided that it forms de-escalation monitor forces, to be placed along the fronts between both parties at agreed points, and Russia acknowledge to care for and ensure the de-escalation and deploying the separating force of observers who work in accordance with rules attached to this agreement, and shall monitor and document the violations in accordance with the annex to the violations-documenting mechanisms annexed to this agreement.
- Immediately after signing; a mechanism shall be prepared for releasing detainees of interest to both parties.
- This agreement is considered as an introduction to finding sound environment for carrying out a comprehensive political solution, in accordance with the international resolutions mentioned in the preamble above, and not a substitute for it.
- This agreement shall enter into force immediately upon signature, since the date on which the representatives of the opposition and the guarantor have signed.