Car bombs claim 16 lives in Syria’s Aleppo
At least 16 people, mostly civilians, have been killed by two car bombs targeting al-Nusra militant and Kurdish fighters in Syria’s northwestern province of Aleppo, a UK-based Syria opposition group says.
According to the head of the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdel Rahman, the first bomb exploded at a checkpoint held by al-Nusra Front, killing 12 people on Saturday.
Apart from two al-Nusra militants, the rest of the casualties were civilians, he said, adding several people were wounded in the blast.
Saturday’s second bomb went off less than 30 kilometres (18 miles) away from the first, at a checkpoint manned by Kurdish fighters.
Four people were killed during the blast, two of them civilians. An unspecific number of people were also injured.
The al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front was initially allied with the ISIL Takfiri terrorists, but the two later fell out and they clash frequently.
Syria has been grappling with a deadly crisis since March 2011. The violence fueled by Takfiri groups has so far claimed the lives of over 200,000 people, according to reports.
The Western powers and their regional allies – especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey – are supporting the militants operating in Syria.
The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has vowed to push ahead with its efforts to root out terrorism in the country and establish national reconciliation.
The ISIL Takfiri terrorists currently control parts of Syria mostly in the east and north. They have also seized large swathes of land in neighboring Iraq.