Deteriorating security in Daraa | Headmaster of commercial school shot dead in Sheikh Maskin
Daraa Province – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: As daily assassinations and attacks are noticeably escalating in Daraa province, SOHR activists have documented the death of the headmaster of the commercial high school in Sheikh Maskin city and the former director of Daraa Educational Academy in an armed attack by unknown gunmen in Sheikh Maskin city in Daraa countryside. The attack has also left the victim’s brother injure, and he is a former executive member in Daraa governorate. It is worth noting that the two persons were taken to Izraa hospital before the headmaster died affected by his wounds.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 983 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 662 persons, categorised as follows:
- 184 civilians, including 12 women and 18 children
- 307 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services
- 120 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders
- 24 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces
- 27 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.