IED attack | Explosion targets military security affiliated group Daraa al-Balad, while civilian killed in gunfire by the same group
Daraa province: SOHR activists have reported hearing an explosion in al-Manshiyyah neighbourhood in Daraa al-Balad this morning, caused by the detonation of an IED in a military headquarters of al-Kasam group operating under the banner of the regime’s military security services. The explosion has injured three security members.
On the other hand, a civilian was killed after members of al-Kasam group opened fire indiscriminately in the neighbourhoods of Daraa al-Balad.
It is worth noting that al-Kasam, the leader of a military group affiliated to the regime’s military security services, was the leader of a local group operating for opposition factions, before striking a reconciliation deal and joining regime security services in Daraa province.
Since the beginning of the security chaos in Daraa in early June 2019, Syrian Observatory activists have documented more than 1,149 attacks and assassination attempts by gunfire and detonations of IEDs, motorcycle-bombs and car-bombs. These attacks and assassinations claimed the lives of 785 persons, categorised as follows:
- 228 civilians, including 14 women and 24 children
- 363 regime soldiers, loyalists and collaborators with regime security services.
- 142 fighters of factions that struck “reconciliation and settlements” deals with the regime and became in the ranks of regime’s security branches, including former commanders.
- 27 Syrian militiamen affiliated to the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iranian forces.
- 32 members of the so-called 5th Corps which was established by Russia.